Bank Verification Number also known as BVN has become a very important number in the banking sector. Since its inception in February 14th 2014 through the collaboration of The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) and the Bankers’ Committee, it has become a compulsory number every account holder must have before he can carry out transactions.
Every bank account holder who is18 years and above in Nigeria all have BVN and in most cases it can be found in your bank app for those that use internet banking. As a Nigerian bank account holder, it is essential to know your BVN, and one of the easiest ways to check your BVN is online. In this article, we will guide you through the steps to check your BVN online.
Before we discuss that let us first of first talk a little about BVN.
What Is BVN
Bank Verification Number (BVN) is a unique identification number that every Nigerian bank account holder must have. It is a biometric identification system that ensures that every customer’s identity is authenticated before transactions can be carried out on their accounts.
This biometric capturing of customers give them a unique identity that can be verified across the Nigerian banking industry. Most financial institutions request for your BVN when doing financial transactions with them.
The aim of the BVN is for security purpose, to curb fraud and ensure the safety of customers’ financial transactions.
How To Get BVN
It is quite easy to get a BVN number, all you need to do is to register for it. To register for it, you can follow this simple process.
- First of all you should visit any of the branch of your bank and ask them for BVN enrollment form. Most banks can register you for your BVN. (Take with you a means of identification, either voter’s card, National ID, Driver’s license or International passport)
- Meet a customer care representative and request for the BVN enrollment form.
- Fill out the form and submit.
- Get your biometric captured by the representative. You will have to use your fingerprint for the biometrics. Also your photograph will be captured.
- Once you are done with these you will be issued a ticket ID.
- You will then have to wait for 24hours and your BVN will be sent to you.
Once you have received your BVN you can now go ahead and link it with your other bank account. You can do this by visiting any of the banks you operate and request to link your BVN. A form will be given to you which you will fill in the necessary information for linking. After this is done your BVN will be linked.
How To Check My BVN Online
There are several ways you can check your BVN online and we will be elaborating on them here. The first option on our list is through the Bank Verification Portal:
Through the BVN Verification Portal
You can easily check your BVN through the Bank verification portal. All you need to do is follow this simple process.
1. Log into the NIBSS BVN Portal using this link https://nibss-plc.com.ng/services/bank-verification-number-bvn
2. Enter your details as requested in the spaces provided.
3. Input your password and select ‘Login’.
4. Select your bank from the list of banks displayed
5. Enter your account number in the space provided
6. Enter your first name, last name, and date of birth as registered with your bank account
7. Solve the CAPTCHA code provided and click on submit
Your BVN 11digit number will be displayed to you.
Short Code To Check BVN
You can also use short code to check your BVN. All you need to do is dial *565*0# using the phone number you used to register for your BVN. The number will be sent to your phone once you have used this BVN ussd code. It is however important to note that you will be charged N20 for using this short code.
Through Internet Banking Platform
Customers can easily check for their BVN online through their bank internet platform. If you carry out internet banking then it will be very easy to use this means to check for your BVN. All you need to do is follow this following procedure.
1. Visit your bank’s website or download their mobile banking app.
2. Log in to your account using your login details (username and password).
3. Look for the option to check your BVN. This option may be under the ‘Profile’ or ‘Settings’ menu.
4. Enter the required details, such as your account number and date of birth, to confirm your identity.
5. Your BVN will be displayed on the screen.
How To Check BVN On MTN
To check your BVN on your MTN line all you need to do is dial the ussd code *565*0# on the mtn line that is linked to your BVN. After you are charged N20 you will receive an sms on your phone with the Bank verification number.
Make sure the number you use for the code is the one linked to the BVN. This code also applies to those who require the means to check their BVN using airtel, Etisalat, 9mobile or Glo.
How To Check BVN On GTBank APP
If you bank with GTBank and you have their mobile app on your phone, you can easily check for your BVN. Follow this process to check.
1. Login to your GTBank mobile app using your username and password
2. Click on the Menu icon on the top left of the first page.
3. On the third line, under your name and last login you will see the BVN number fully displayed.
GTBank account holders can also use the short code *737*6*1# to access their BVN. once you have dialed the code *737*6*1# on your mobile number, you will follow the instruction that will display on your screen.
How To Check BVN On UBA App
UBA account holders can also check their BVN easily. All they need to do is use their UBA bank app. They should follow this process.
1. Login to your UBA mobile app using your username and password
2. Navigate to the profile icon found at the top right corner of the app’s interface.
3. Scroll down to the security information section. There you will find the BVN details .
You can also check your BVN on UBA bank using this ussd code. All you need to do is dial the code *919*18# on the phone number linked to your UBA account and the number will appear.
The BVN is an important number that controls your financial transactions and as such should be kept secret. Account holders can easily check their BVN online using any of the above method. If you dont have access to your phone you can click here to see how to check your BVN without your Phone Number.