In this article, we will guide you through the step-by-step process of blocking your Union Bank ATM card to ensure the safety of your funds and prevent unauthorized transactions. Losing or misplacing your ATM card can be stressful, but taking immediate action to block it can save you from potential financial losses. We’ll walk you through the various methods you can use to block your card quickly and efficiently.
Reasons to Block a Unity Bank ATM Card
Blocking your Unity Bank ATM card is a crucial step to safeguard your finances and protect yourself from potential fraud or unauthorized transactions. There are several reasons why you might need to block your ATM card. Let’s explore some of the most common reasons:
- Lost or Stolen Card: If you have misplaced your ATM card or suspect that it has been stolen, it is essential to block it immediately. Blocking the card will prevent unauthorized individuals from accessing your account and making transactions on your behalf.
- Suspicious Transactions: If you notice any unusual or suspicious transactions on your bank statement or mobile banking app, it could indicate fraudulent activity. In such cases, it is best to block your ATM card to prevent further unauthorized transactions.
- Data Breach or Identity Theft: In the event of a data breach or if you suspect that your personal information has been compromised, it is wise to block your ATM card as a precautionary measure. Identity thieves can use stolen information to perform fraudulent transactions.
- Forgotten PIN: If you have forgotten your ATM PIN and fear that someone might find and misuse your card, it’s safer to block the card temporarily until you retrieve or reset your PIN.
- Card Malfunction: If your ATM card is not working correctly, such as being unable to complete transactions or access funds, it is advisable to block the card and request a replacement to avoid any inconvenience.
- Expiry of Card: When your ATM card reaches its expiration date, your bank will issue a new card with an updated expiry date. However, if you don’t receive the new card or have any concerns about the old one, it’s better to block it.
- Unnecessary Risks: Sometimes, you might prefer not to use your ATM card for a specific period, especially if you are traveling or have concerns about the security of your card. In such cases, blocking the card temporarily can offer peace of mind.
- Change in Account Status: If you close your bank account or switch to a different account type, you should block your old ATM card associated with the previous account to prevent any accidental transactions.
- Prevent Unauthorized Access: If you have shared your card details with someone you no longer trust, or if you suspect that your card details have been shared without your knowledge, blocking the card can prevent any unauthorized access to your funds.
- Prevent ATM Skimming: ATM skimming is a common method used by fraudsters to steal card information. If you notice any suspicious devices or activities near ATMs, it’s best to block your card immediately.
How To Easily Block Your Union Bank ATM Card
Union bank takes the security of their customer’s account seriously, that is way they have made available different methods to easily block your ATM card instantly to prevent loss of your fund. Below are some of the methods to block your Union bank ATM card:
How to Block Your Union Bank ATM Card Online
1. Log in to Internet Banking
To initiate the blocking process, log in to your Union Bank internet banking account using your credentials.
2. Select “Card Management”
Once logged in, navigate to the “Card Management” section, where you can manage your ATM card settings.
3. Choose “Block Card”
Within the “Card Management” section, select the option to “Block Card” to proceed with the blocking request.
4. Confirm the Blocking Request
You will be prompted to confirm the card blocking request. Verify the details and proceed to block your card.
How to Block Your Union Bank ATM Card via Mobile App
1. Open the Union Bank Mobile App
Launch the Union Bank mobile app on your smartphone and log in to your account.
2. Navigate to “Card Management”
Locate the “Card Management” option in the app’s menu and access the ATM card settings.
3. Select “Block Card”
Within the “Card Management” section, choose the “Block Card” option to begin the blocking process.
4. Verify the Card Blocking
Review the card details and confirm the blocking request to secure your account.
How to Block Your Union Bank ATM Card through Customer Service
1. Call Union Bank Customer Care
Contact Union Bank’s customer care helpline. For Nigerians the number is 01 271 6816. Follow the instructions provided by the automated system.
2. Provide Necessary Information
You will need to provide essential details, such as your account number and personal information, for verification purposes.
3. Request for Card Blocking
Inform the customer care executive about the lost or stolen card and request immediate blocking.
4. Follow the Instructions Provided
The customer care executive will guide you through the blocking process and confirm the action taken.
How to Block Your Union Bank ATM Card Using USSD Code
Follow the steps below to block your Union Bank ATM card using the Union bank USSD code:
- Open Your Phone’s Dialer: Go to the dialer on your mobile phone. You can use any phone, whether it’s a smartphone or a basic feature phone.
- Dial the USSD Code: To block your Union Bank ATM card, dial the USSD code for card blocking. The USSD code for Union Bank ATM card blocking is typically *826*21#.
- Select the Card Blocking Option: After dialing the USSD code, you will see a list of options on your phone screen. Look for the option related to “Card Blocking” and select it by entering the corresponding number.
- Enter Your Account Details: The USSD system will prompt you to enter your Union Bank account number or your ATM card number. Type in the required details accurately.
- Confirm Your Identity: To ensure security, the system may ask you to verify your identity by entering the last four digits of your registered mobile number or providing other personal information.
- Block Your ATM Card: Once your identity is verified, you will be asked to confirm the blocking of your ATM card. Verify the details and confirm the action to proceed with blocking your card.
- Receive Confirmation Message: After successfully blocking your Union Bank ATM card, you will receive a confirmation message on your phone. The message will indicate that your card has been blocked for security reasons.
It’s important to note that USSD codes may vary slightly depending on your country and mobile network operator. Make sure you use the correct USSD code provided by Union Bank for blocking your ATM card.
How to Block Your Union Bank ATM Card at the Bank Branch
If you prefer a more hands-on approach or need immediate assistance, you can block your Union Bank ATM card by visiting a Union Bank branch in person. Blocking your ATM card at the bank branch ensures that you can speak directly to a bank representative and receive immediate support. Follow these steps to block your Union Bank ATM card at the bank branch:
- Carry Your Identification: Before visiting the bank branch, make sure to bring valid identification documents such as your passport, driver’s license, or national ID card. These documents will be required to verify your identity.
- Locate the Nearest Union Bank Branch: Use Union Bank’s website or mobile app to find the nearest branch to your location. Note down the branch address and operating hours.
- Visit the Bank Branch: Go to the Union Bank branch during their business hours. Upon arrival, proceed to the customer service or help desk area.
- Inform the Bank Representative: Explain to the bank representative that you want to block your Union Bank ATM card. They will guide you through the process and provide the necessary assistance.
- Provide Your Account Information: The bank representative will request specific details to identify your account, such as your account number, full name, and any other relevant information associated with your account.
- Report the Reason for Blocking: Inform the bank representative of the reason for blocking your ATM card, such as if it’s lost, stolen, or compromised. Providing the reason will help the bank better understand your situation and assist you accordingly.
- Identity Verification: For security purposes, the bank representative may ask you to provide additional identification or answer security questions to verify your identity. This step is essential to ensure that only the account holder can block the ATM card.
- Sign the Request Form: The bank representative will provide a form or document for you to sign, confirming your request to block the ATM card. Carefully read the information provided and sign the form.
- Receive Confirmation: Once your request is processed and the ATM card is successfully blocked, the bank representative will provide you with a confirmation receipt or statement. This receipt will serve as proof of the blocking action.
- Request for a New ATM Card: If you haven’t already requested a replacement ATM card, you can do so at the bank branch. The representative will assist you in applying for a new card, which will be issued to you after necessary verification.
Remember to keep the confirmation receipt or statement provided by the bank as proof of the card blocking action. Additionally, if you have any concerns or questions, don’t hesitate to ask the bank representative for further clarification or assistance.
Blocking your Union Bank ATM card at the bank branch ensures that you have professional support throughout the process, giving you peace of mind that your account is secure from any potential unauthorized access or fraudulent transactions.
Important information to have when blocking your Union Bank ATM card
When blocking your Union Bank ATM card, it is essential to have the following important information readily available:
- ATM Card Number: The 16-digit ATM card number printed on the front of your card is a crucial piece of information required to block the card. This number uniquely identifies your card and links it to your bank account.
- Account Number: Your Union Bank account number is another essential detail needed to block the ATM card successfully. It helps the bank associate the card with your specific account.
- Full Name: Provide your full legal name as it appears on your account and ATM card. This is necessary for identity verification purposes.
- Valid Identification: Carry a valid identification document such as a passport, driver’s license, or national ID card to prove your identity when visiting the bank branch or contacting customer service to block the card.
- Contact Information: Ensure that your contact information, such as your registered mobile number and email address, is up-to-date with the bank. This information is crucial for communication and security purposes during the card blocking process.
- Date and Time of Card Loss or Suspicious Activity: If your card is lost, stolen, or you noticed suspicious activity, provide the date and time when you first noticed the issue. This information helps the bank in tracking and investigating any fraudulent transactions.
- Circumstances of Card Loss or Suspicion: Briefly explain the circumstances surrounding the card loss or suspicious activity. This can include details like the last known location of the card or any unusual transactions you noticed.
- PIN Number (if available): Although not always required, having your ATM card’s PIN number can be useful during the card blocking process, as it may serve as an additional authentication factor.
- Transaction History (if available): If you have access to your account’s transaction history, it can be helpful to review it for any unauthorized transactions before blocking the card. This information can assist the bank in their investigation.
- Previous Blocking Attempts: If you previously attempted to block the card through other means (such as internet banking or the mobile app) but were unsuccessful, inform the bank representative about these attempts.
Having this information readily available will streamline the card blocking process and help the bank’s customer support team assist you more efficiently. Promptly blocking your Union Bank ATM card is essential to protect your account from unauthorized access and potential fraudulent activities. Therefore, ensure that you keep this information secure and easily accessible in case of emergencies.
What to Do If You Can’t Remember Your Card Details
Retrieving Card Details from Internet Banking
If you can’t remember your card details, you can retrieve them through your Union Bank internet banking account. Follow these steps:
- Log in to your Union Bank internet banking account.
- Access the “Card Management” section.
- View your ATM card details, including the card number and other relevant information.
Contacting Customer Service for Assistance
If you are unable to retrieve your card details or face any difficulties, contact Union Bank customer care for assistance. They will guide you through the process of card blocking.
Preventive Measures to Protect Your Union Bank ATM Card
Protecting your Union Bank ATM card is crucial to ensure the safety of your funds and prevent unauthorized access to your account. Implementing preventive measures can significantly reduce the risk of fraud and enhance the security of your card. Here are some essential preventive measures to safeguard your Union Bank ATM card:
- Keep Your ATM Card Secure: Always keep your ATM card in a safe and secure place. Avoid leaving it exposed or unattended, especially in public areas. Never share your card with anyone, and avoid lending it to friends or family.
- Memorize Your PIN: Memorize your Personal Identification Number (PIN) and avoid writing it down anywhere, including on the card itself. Never share your PIN with anyone, and ensure that it remains confidential.
- Use Strong PIN: Choose a strong and unique PIN that is not easily guessable. Avoid using obvious combinations like birthdates or sequential numbers. A strong PIN adds an extra layer of protection to your card.
- Beware of Skimming Devices: Be cautious when using ATMs and card readers. Look for any suspicious devices attached to the card slot or keypad. If anything seems unusual or tampered, do not use the machine and report it to the bank immediately.
- Use Secure ATMs: Whenever possible, use ATMs located in well-lit and secure areas. Avoid using ATMs in secluded or dimly lit places, as they may be more vulnerable to criminal activities.
- Check ATMs for Cameras: Look for hidden cameras around the ATM area, especially near the keypad. Cover your PIN while entering it to prevent unauthorized individuals from capturing your PIN.
- Enable Transaction Notifications: Activate transaction notifications for your Union Bank account. This way, you’ll receive alerts on your registered mobile number or email for every transaction made with your card, allowing you to identify any unauthorized activity quickly.
- Monitor Account Statements: Regularly review your bank account statements to check for any suspicious transactions. If you notice any unauthorized charges, report them to the bank immediately.
- Update Contact Information: Keep your contact information, including mobile number and email address, up-to-date with the bank. This ensures that you receive timely notifications and alerts regarding your account.
- Set Transaction Limits: If your bank allows it, set transaction limits for your ATM card. This limits the amount that can be withdrawn or spent in a single transaction, reducing potential losses in case of theft.
- Be Wary of Phishing Scams: Beware of phishing emails, calls, or messages that ask for your personal and financial information. Union Bank will never request sensitive information through such means.
- Notify the Bank of Travel Plans: If you plan to travel internationally, inform the bank in advance to prevent any inconvenience or restrictions on your card due to unusual activity.
By following these preventive measures, you can significantly reduce the risk of card-related fraud and ensure the security of your Union Bank ATM card. Staying vigilant and taking proactive steps to protect your card will give you peace of mind and allow you to use your card safely for all your financial transactions.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I unblock my card after blocking it?
Yes, you can unblock your card after blocking it. If you locate your lost card or resolve the issue that led to the blocking, you can request the bank to unblock your card.
2. Will I be charged for blocking my card?
No, most banks do not charge a fee for blocking your card. It is a security measure provided to protect your account and funds.
3. Can I block my card permanently?
Yes, some banks offer the option to block your card permanently if you have no intention of using it again or if you suspect it was stolen.
4. Is there a time limit for reporting a lost card?
It is advisable to report a lost card as soon as possible to minimize the risk of unauthorized transactions. Some banks may have specific time limits for reporting lost cards, so contact your bank immediately.
5. What do I do if I notice unauthorized transactions after blocking my card?
If you observe any unauthorized transactions after blocking your card, report them to your bank immediately. They will investigate the matter and take appropriate action to secure your account.
Blocking your Union Bank ATM card is a crucial step to protect your funds and maintain financial security. Whether you choose to block your card through internet banking, the mobile app, or by contacting customer service, acting promptly is essential to prevent unauthorized transactions. Additionally, by taking further security measures, such as setting transaction limits and enabling SMS notifications, you can add an extra layer of protection to your account. Remember to keep your ATM card details safe and confidential to ensure the safety of your finances.